American postwar aircraft
Convair B-36 Peacemaker
The B-36 was under development in 1941 and first flew on August 8, 1946. The first
operational models were delivered to SAC in 1948, but due to early problems the B-36 units
were not fully operational until 1951. The B-36 cost $3.6 million each. It had a 3,740-nm
combat radius with a 10,000-pound payload, or a 1,757-nm radius with a maximum bomb load
of 86,000 pounds. The last B-36 was built in August 1954, for a total production of 388
aircraft. The B-36 force was modernized with the advent of the long range B-52
. On 29 June 1955 the first B-52
was delivered to SAC. At that time there were 340 of the B-36s assigned. When the last
B-36 was retired in 1959, for a service life of 8 years, there were almost 500 B-52
aircraft in the US bomber fleet The B-36, an intercontinental bomber, was designed during
World War II. The airplane made its maiden flight Aug. 8, 1946, and, on June 26, 1948, the
Strategic Air Command received its first B-36 for operational use. By the time production
ended in August 1954, more than 380 B-36s had been built for the U.S. Air Force.
In 1958-59, the B-36 was replaced by the more modern B-52
. During the years it was in
service, the airplane was one of America's major deterrents to aggression by a potential
enemy. The fact that the B-36 was never used in combat was indicative of its value in
"keeping the peace."
||Six Pratt & Whitney B 4360s turboshaft engines and four
General Electric J47s auxiliary turbofan engines on pylons under wing.
||6x 3,800 HP
||6x 2,834 kW
||4x 5,200 lb
||4x 23.13 kN
||162 ft 1 in
||46 ft 9 in
||Sixteen M24 20mm cannon in eight nose, tail and fuselage
86,000 pounds of conventional or nuclear bombs.
Copyright © 2018 All Rights Reserved